Having a morning kickstart ritual for energy and mental alertness can transform the quality of your day.
If you’re like most people, myself included, getting out of bed in the morning can be one of the biggest struggles of the day. Dragging yourself from the warmth and cosiness of our beds is definitely way down our list of priorities at that time of the day.
So what do we do instead? We hit the snooze button so we can relive that dreaded moment another 3 or 4 times before we actually get up to face the day!!
But the good news is that if you put a simple little morning in routine in place, it’s pretty easy to jumpstart your body and brain into a state of alertness and energy 20 times faster than if you simply wait to thaw out.
This isn’t about getting up early. It’s about doing a few simple steps no matter what time you wake up at, so that you’re starting your day with your best foot forward and ultimately feeling fresher, more energised, more awake, and more motivated for your day ahead.
Isn’t that a lot more appealing than hitting the snooze button multiple times and then crawling our of bed, just to be out-of-it for another 20 minutes feeling like you’ve just been hit by a truck?
This routine is something I came across first in Hal Elrods ‘Miracle Morning’ book, and as suggested, I’ve added in a few of my own tweaks that I know work well for me, so feel free to do the same yourself once you’ve gotten into the flow of things for a few mornings.
Just be sure to keep it simple enough that you’ll actually do it.
So here it is. Your 6 step, super simple, morning kickstart to set yourself up for a great day
1) Set your intention the night before to complete your morning kickstart when you wake up. Commit that you’re going to do it whatever time you wake up at.
2) Set your alarm clock and move it across the room so you have to get out of bed and get moving to shut it off.
3) Drink a glass of water that you’ve placed in your locker too start the hydration process- your body and brain really appreciate this!! Himalayan sea salt and lime juice is a great addition to really get the mouth feeling fresh.
4) Wash your face with cold water and brush your teeth for a fresh face and mouth. Remember that freshness = alertness snd energy.
5) Put on your workout clothes for your 60 second energy primer. Shorts and a t-shirt are fine but you absolutely must get out of PJ’s so your brain starts to accept that your day has started.
6) 60 second energy primer eg. jumping jacks, skipping, body weight squats, etc. Just get moving for 60 seconds to get the blood pumping and the joints and muscles moving.
As an example, this morning I done 30 jumping jacks, a few hip circles and 10 bodyweight squats.
7) Have a coffee if you’d like. I enjoy an early morning Nespresso because it only takes a few seconds to make and there’s zero work involved- just perfect for that time of morning!
And that’s it.
Don’t worry about how long it takes you at the start. Just get in the habit of doing it, and over a few weeks you’ll be rattling it off in 5 minutes and feeling like you’ve been up an hour by the time it’s done.
One of the worst feelings of the day for most people is when they hear that alarm clock going off……… 4 times!
By putting this simple morning routine in place, which literally takes a few minutes to do, you’ll set yourself up to have the best possible start to your day.
It’s so easy to do that there’s no reason not to give it a try, so why not commit to doing it tomorrow morning?
And when you do it, be sure to let me know how it goes for you. I guarantee you’ll feel so good after it that’ll you won’t need convincing to keep it up
Have a great day.